Thursday, July 2, 2015

Blog of 6/29/15 (Summer Reading Project)

Stung by Bethany Wiggins



Prompt: Pick out 2-4 words from what you are reading that you had difficulty
understanding. Interpret what you think each word means based on context
clues (other words around that word that might help you interpret what the
author means).
Pages Read: 147-end

This book has some complicated words which are hard to understand and make the book kind of discombobulating for me to understand. This prompt will help me with that. Though, the word choice of this author does make the book seem more interesting than it already is.

The first word I didn't really comprehend was remnant. I figured remnant could be some old objects left behind since the the main characters in the book were entering an old hotel. The text said "He nods toward the remnants of the revolving door, presses his finger against his lips again, and tiptoes into the hotel." By using textual evidence it shows that remnant are like the remains of an object that is old. I found this on page 164.

The second word I didn't really decipher was intently. In the book it says "He's gnawing on the meat so intently he doesn't even notice me." I found this on page 201. By using textual evidence from the book, it appears intently means that you are doing something with so much eager. So I figured out it means something like eager attention.

 The last word that was a little perplexing for me was heap. In the text it says "Then he slides the plate under, dumping a heap of greasy meat and mostly onions on the grease-stained floor." By using the text from the book, I think that heap means an amount of something. I figured this out since in the textual evidence it says "dumping a heap of greasy meat" which means it a portion or amount of something. I found this on page 234.

No comments:

Post a Comment