Friday, October 3, 2014

Paper Towns


Paper Towns
Prompt: Pick out 2-4 words from what you are reading that you had difficulty
understanding. Interpret what you think each word means based on context
clues (other words around that word that might help you interpret what the
author means).
Pages Read: 0 - 143

This book has some big words that are hard to understand sometimes and this prompt could help me with them. The author of Paper Towns, John Green, has a great word choice to use in his books. His word choice makes his book way more interesting to read, than authors who use a regular kind of word choice. Which make the book more boring and easier to read.

The first word I wasn't really understanding was crypt. I figured crypt could be some sort a place. The text said "I would have figured her to be where is the crypt is it to the left immune to that kind of stuff." By using textual evidence it shows that a crypt is a place. I found this on page 108.

The second word I didn't really understand was dismissively. In the book it says "Yeah, I believe that's Shakespeare, I said dismissively" on page 114. By using textual evidence from the book, it appears dismissively is some kind of tone of voice. So I figured out it is a tone of voice.

 The last word that was a little complicated for me was pancreases. In the text it says " Yeah, and a demon who can only be nourished by the pancreases of young boys could also be there." By using the text from the book, pancreases is a part of the boy's body. I figured this out because in the book it says "nourished by the pancreases of young boys" which means it's a part of the boy's body. I found this on page 135.

5 comments:

  1. Jared,
    Your blog post was really good! I found a few typos, but otherwise it was really good. I didn't know those words either but you this helped me figure it out! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that John Green wrote any other books good job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very good, now I know some new words!! Good job on explaining what the words mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of these words I didn't even know, but from the sentence you put I was also able to figure them out, too. Based off the words you didn't know and the sentences you put the book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commented on:
    1. Joseph
    2. Bianey
    3. Sam

    ReplyDelete