Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Blog of 2/23/15

The Giver By Lois Lowry
Prompt:  Pick 2 to 4 words from what you are reading that you had difficulty understanding. Interpret what you think each word means based on the context clues (other words around that word that might help you interpret what the author means).


Pages Read: 0-65




 In the book The Giver by Lois Lowry there are three words I had trouble understanding while reading. The first word I had trouble understanding was prominent. I found it on page 11. The sentence I found it in was ¨Next, Mother, who held a prominent position at the Department of Justice, talked about her feelings¨. Based on the context clues I thought that prominent had to do with some sort of class or rating. I thought of this because in the text it said ¨...who held a prominent position...¨ and this made me think that it had to do something with class or rating. Prominent actually means important or famous, so I guess I was pretty close to the real definition.

The second word I had difficulty understanding was fret. The sentence I found fret in was ¨But the committee would never bother The Receiver with a question about bicycles: they would simply fret and argue about it themselves for years, until the citizens forgot that it had ever gone to them for study¨. Based on the words around fret I think that fret has to do something with feelings or mood.  I thought this because in the text it said ¨...they would simply fret and argue...¨ and this made come up to the conclusión that it has to do something with mood or feelings. Fret actually means to be constantly worried or anxious, but my guess was pretty close because worried and anxious are both feelings.



The third word I had trouble understanding was vividly. I found this word on page 43. The sentence I found it in was ¨He had dreamed very vividly the night before.¨ Based on the words surronding vividly I can see that it has to do something with like dreaming or something. I think this because in the text it says ¨...dreamed very vividly the night before.¨ and this is why it has to do something with dreaming. Vividly actually means forming distinct and striking mental images and this is sort of how dreams work. These are the three words I had trouble with understanding through my reading.


I commented on Lillian, Joseph, and Mia



1 comment:

  1. Your blog for this week was good Jared! The first positive aspect of your blog, was the strategy you shared with readers. I liked the way you put context clues into your blog, and promoted the use of that strategy. Another good part of your blog was the organization. First, you put what you thought the word meant, then what it actually meant, and explained your reasoning. Good job!

    ReplyDelete