Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Morrie's Aphorisms - Final Project 5/9/16

Prompt:
1- Explain the aphorism in detail. what was Morrie's main message?
2-     Relate the aphorism to a movie, song, historical event, current event, personal experience, etc. and explain in detail how the example you have chosen relates to the aphorism.
3-     Evaluate the aphorism by explaining why you agree/disagree with it. Give specific reasons for your position and specific evidence from the text to support your position.
4-     Take a picture of your aphorism to use as your graphic.
5- Include your own aphorism regarding life.

"The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves . And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it."


          The message Morrie was trying to give us with this aphorism is that our culture will always judge us and try to make us be all the same, but you have to be strong enough to avoid everything they say and be different. Our culture has a thing of always judging people on their looks, decisions, etc. and nothing will ever stop them from doing it. It's just how our culture works. They will judge you in every aspect they can but you have to be really strong to say stand up for yourself and ignore all of their comments, be proud of yourself and ignore what other people think about you. It doesn't matter what they think, you are perfect the way you are. Our culture wants everyone to be the same an will judge you for being different but that's not how it works. You don't have to be like the rest. Everyone is different and that's okay.

           I can relate to this to a personal experience I've had, other people can probably relate to this too. There was a point in my life where I used to get judged by people, though it wasn't bullying. It was just that they made comments on the things I did and wore. I won't say who they were but you could say they were sort of judging me. They were always making negative comments on the things I did and that really put me down. Then one day I thought to myself, "What if I stop caring about what they say about me? They aren't me, they don't tell me what to do." That's when I began to stop caring about what other people said about me because they don't know who I am and they don't tell me what to do. Everyone is different and no one should feel bad for being themselves. 

            I agree with this aphorism. I agree with it because it really shows how our culture wants us all to be the same and will judge us if we try to be different or be an out stander. Not everyone has to be the same and it's okay. No one should feel bad for not following the crowd and making their own path. On page 42, right before the aphorism it's talking about the O. J. Simpson trial. The book says, "They didn't know O. J. Simpson... Yet they gave up days and weeks of their lives, addicted to someone else's drama." This quote really demonstrates how a lot of people wasted their lives by watching the O. J. Simpson trial. They didn't even know who it was, yet, they wasted their life by watching the trial every time it was on only because the rest of the world was doing it. You don't have to follow the crowd just be yourself.

My own aphorism: "You can't live a positive life with a negative mind."



No comments:

Post a Comment