Thursday, May 5, 2016

Socratic Seminar Reflection Blog 5/5/16

Prompt: Explain how the past four Socratic Seminars have influenced your thinking about Tuesdays with Morrie and life in general.

What trends did you notice with yourself and your personal goals for each seminar? How did your personal goal(s) change and what did you actively do to change throughout our last four discussions?

What trends did you notice with the class for each seminar? What did you notice that helped or hindered a specific seminar?


          The past four Socratic Seminars have really influenced my thinking about Tuesday's with Morrie because it made me realize tiny details that happened during the book that I hadn't really catched. They changed my point of view on some parts of the book. In the second Socratic Seminar we touched point on the topic about family and, it made me realize how much Morrie would have been different if his family wasn't there for him. His disease would have been much worse because he wouldn't have the love and support from his family. He really depended on his family, and without that support his disease would have been more difficult for him since he would just be alone. He wouldn't have made it this far with the disease without his family. The Socratic seminar really helped me realize how Morrie's life could have been much different.

            A trend that I noticed with myself is that at first I wouldn't really talk and then I slowly began to comment more and more. I'm not much of a talkative person so in the beginning I would just sit down and watch everyone else do the talking, but then I realized that I had some things to comment on so that's when I began to talk. I realized that I needed to put my opinion in too so I began to comment. My goals went from talking more during the seminar to bringing in more people to the conversation. I think I made a big improvement on participation.

          A trend that I noticed with the class during each seminar was the participation. At first no one really wanted to participate and we had many of those awkward silent moments. As we had more of these seminars we all began to talk more and get more into the discussion. In the first Socratic seminar we had many silent awkward moments where no one said anything and we all just stared at each other. Then during the third Socratic seminar we got so into the conversation that we weren't even talking about the book anymore. We were talking about real life situations such as no one standing up for each other. I think that really shows our progression as a class with the participation.




No comments:

Post a Comment